2.27.2009

Ah reading...

My nemesis and my best friend...

When I decide to sit down and read a book or if I find that book that just hooks me, I can't help but finish it as fast as I can, maybe a week or two (I'm a slow reader).  

I'm currently reading an amazingly suspenseful, well written, smoothly paced book called "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.  Here's the problem, I feel like I have nothing going on a daily basis but at the same time I feel like I have so much going on, which is causing me to drag out this book for months.  It actually started about a year ago when I first noticed this book in the bookstore and I kept talking myself out of buying it, then I moved to Brooklyn and it followed me and I finally bought it and started reading it back in September...I'm still reading it today and I'm only 160 pages in, it's sad.  I think I need a push to read more often because as soon as I finish this book I need to finish another book I started reading before I moved, then I have about 4 or 5 other books I've yet to read.  

The big problem for me is distractions, if someone is talking while I'm reading I tend to focus on that rather than taking in what I'm reading.  It's the same with ambient noise like music and loud noises from outside, it sucks.  I usually only read before I fall asleep which makes it about 15-30 pages a night if I'm lucky.

Starting Monday this week I'm going to make an effort to knock out this book by the weekend and move on to a new, one...this post was next to pointless as I could have been reading this whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment